Seeing as I have to share my identity as a zinester with my identity as a mother, I am unable to do all the activities of International Zine Month as I have in previous years. And I am certainly not able to do the 24-hour zine thing because that would involve missing out on even more hours of sleep than I already am. So that kinda sucks.
But since I do have some free mornings to engage in a few zinester activities, I decided to go IZM Lite. Here are a few things I have done and will do this month:
- Create a profile on the new We Make Zines website.
- Read some of the unread zines I keep in a pile on my desk.
- Send a few more copies of my zines to Quimby’s Bookstore.
- Revamp my Etsy shop
- Make a minizine or two
- Make an attempt to write a full-length zine
- Respond to penpal letters I also keep in a pile on my desk
- Set up an inventory system for all my zines and maybe make a catalog
- Make a new logo/flyer for my Etsy shop
- Send trading requests
Aside from that, I also made my first minizine last week! I was so happy to be zinestering again that it didn’t matter that the zine is small, contains little text and took only a couple of days to make. I was just happy to finally do something crafty with my hands. And of course, I had to make it about what has been going on in my life, so I made it about pregnancy.
I hope that in the future, once my daughter learns how to hold a crayon, we can make some zines together!
Peace, love and zine magic